SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImath varavaramunayE nama: SrI vAnAchala mahAmunayE nama:
thirukkuLanthai, also known as perunguLam/pAlikA vanam is part of navathiruppathi (9 dhivya dhEsams) located in and around AzhwAr thirungari.
mUlavar in this dhivya dhEsam is named as vEngatavANan (SrInivAsan) – as proclaimed by nammAzhwAr in his thiruvAimozhi 8.2. uthsavar is named mAyakkUththan (magnificient dancer) as well as chOra nAttiyan (one who steals the hearts of devotees through his divine dance).
sthala purANam :
A brAhmaNa named vEdhasAran was a devotee of vEngatavANan (SrInivAsan) emperumAn. He had a beautiful wife named kumudhavathi. They prayed to bhagavAn for offsprings and with the grace of vEngatavANan emperumAn‘s grace they begot a daughter named kamalAvathi.
In Himalayas, an rAkshasa named silAsaran, wanted to marry 1000 beautiful girls at the same time to obtain some special power. He captured 998 beautiful girls already and was searching for just two more. He was flying in sky and he found kumudhavathi who is the wife of vEdhasAran. He captured her too and took her to Himalayas and he went searching for the last girl to marry. In the mean time, vEdhasAran approached vEngatavANan emperumAn to get back his wife. Immediately vEngatavANan emperumAn mounted on his garudAzhwAr and went to Himalayas to recover kumudhavathi. He freed all the girls and easily brought kumudhavathi back to thirukkuLanthai and returned her to vEdhasAran.
Subsequently, the rAkshasa reached Himalayas and he found all the girls were missing. He finds out what happened there and he arrives at thirukkuLanthai to fight with vEngatavANan. A fierce battle takes place between emperumAn and the rAkshasa on the banks of thAmirabharaNi river. Finally, emperumAn broke his legs and danced on his head. Because of this divine dance he became to be called as mAyakkUththan and chOranAttiyan.
kamalAvathi, the daughter of vEdhasAran starts doing a penance towards emperumAn to marry him. ermperumAn appears in front of her on thai (makara) month sukla paksha dhvAdhasi, pushya (pUsa) nakshathram, converted her into a small maNi (bead) and placed her on his chest. Hence thirukkalyANa uthsavam is celebrated on thai (makara) pUsam (pushyam) every year. garudAzhwAr is also given special status in this dhivya dhEsam and is seated along with mAyakoothan in his sannidhi.
thAyAr is named kuLanthaivalli nAchchiyAr and the dhivya dhEsam is also named after her. Another thAyAr is named alarmEl mangai nAchchiyAr (divine consort of vEngatavANan/SrInivAsan emperumAn).
There is a big pond in this dhivya dhEsam, so the place is also known as perunguLam (big tank/pond).
mAyakkUththan and nammAzhwAr
nammAzhwAr performed mangaLAsAsanam to this emperumAn in his thiruvAimozhi – 8-2. Also, In thiruvAimozhi 8-5-1, AzhwAr says “mAyakkUththA vAmanA … vAsath thadAgam pOl varuvAnE ……” (vAmanan emperumAn arrives like a fragrant pond). The place near this temple is named as “vAsath thadAgam” and is believed to be the place where emperumAn and AzhwAr meets (mAnasIkam – AzhwAr in his thoughts).
azhagiya maNavALa perumAL nAyanAr in his AchArya hrudhayam chUrNikai 172 brings out nammAzhwAr‘s divine emotions for this emperumAn and explains that this emperumAn will beautifully reveal his magnificient leelAs to the ones who are greatly attached to him.
During nAyakkar kings Period, the king built a maNdapam known as nAyakkar maNdapam in AzhwAr thirunagari to receive navathiruppathi emperumAns who arrive from their dhivya dhEsams during vaikAsi brahmOthsavam to Alwarthirunagari to wait before the mangaLAsAsanam. He offered a gold kavacham (armour) for the emperumAn who arrives first to the maNdapam. Though, mAyakkUththan emperumAn arrives from a far distance and usually arrives at the end, but that particular year, he arrived first and accepted the kavacham from the king and blessed the king.
Let us visit this wonderful dhivya dhEsam and be blessed by emperumAn, AzhwAr and AchAryas.
There are several sannidhis and uthsavams that happen for the emperumAns, AzhwArs and AchAryas in this dhivya dhEsam.
- Presiding deity
- mUlavar – vEngatavANan
- uthsavar – mAyakUththan
- thAyArs – kuLanthaivalli thAyAr & alarmElmangai thAyAr
- sEnai mudhaliyAr
- AzhwArs (except nammAzhwAr – only one nammAzhwAr in the whole navathiruppathi at AzhwAr thirungari sannidhi)
- maNavALa mAmunigaL
Outside the temple:
- thiruvEngatamudaiyAn sannidhi
- thiruvadi (hanumAn) sannidhi
- thiruvAthirai – emperumAnAr thirumanjanam, mangaLAsAsanam & puRappAdu
- puRappAdu to AzhwAr thirunagari for nammAzhwAr uthsvam 5th day (9 garuda sEvai)
- pakshirAjar thirumanjanam
- pavithra uthsavam
- SrI jayanthi – rOhiNi/ashtami followed by uriyadi uthsavam on the next day
- thirumUlam – maNavALa mAmunigaL thirumanjanam, mangaLAsAsanam & puRappAdu
- kArthigai dhIpam
- dhanur/mArgazhi mAsam kramam
- adhyayana uthsavam
- vaikuNta EkAdasi (rApaththu beginning)
- Every Friday Unjal Sevai
- pushpa sattai for mUlavar Every Friday & thai mAsa pravEsam
- kanu uthsavam – thAyArs puRappAdu & thirumanjanam
- brahmOthsavam 11 days – dhvajArOhaNam on panguni thiruvONam concluded by theppa uthsavam
- 8am – 12.30pm (Saturday till 01.00pm)
- 4.30pm – 7.15pm
- Morning – thiruppallANdu, thiruppaLLiyezhuchchi, thiruppAvai, kaNNinuN chiRu thAmbu, thiruvAimozhi 8.2 (sthala padhigam)
- Outside the temple – During various uthsavams
- Inside the temple
- mAsa pravEsam
- Last Friday
- AzhwAr/AchAryas thirunakshathrams
- arayar sEvai is performed during uthsavams in this dhivya dhEsam.
- This is one of the temples where ramyajAmAthru thaniyan (honoring ponnadikkAl jIyar) is recited always after SrIsailEsa dhayApAthram thanyian (honoring mAmunigaL).
- nammAzhwAr – thiruvAimozhi – 8-2
கூடச்சென்றேன்இனிஎன்கொடுக்கேன்? கோல்வளைநெஞ்சத் தொடக்கமெல்லாம்*
மாடக்கொடிமதிள் தென்குளந்தை வண்குடபால் நின்ற மாயக்கூத்தன்*
ஆடல்பறவை உயர்த்த வெல்போர் ஆழிவலவனை ஆதரித்தே
– நம்மாழ்வார் ,திருவாய்மொழி(8-2-4)
For Details Contact:
SrI mAyakUthar Devasthanam
aruLmigu kallapirAn swamy thirukkOyil Office
Sri kuLanthaivalli thAyAr kainkarya sabha
6/7 Jeevanandam Street, Vinayagapuram, Ambattur, Chennai
Sri Solaimalai Kannan – 9841720513